On Friday November 7th, AVACNY held their annual Teaching Day Symposium at the Craftsman Inn and Conference Center in Syracuse NY. With over 100 attendees and 21 sponsors, the event was a huge success. Upstate HomeCare proudly sponsors the group and volunteers from our Syracuse Branch ran the sponsor table. Lorissa(Syracuse Branch Manager), Maryann(Syracuse Supervising Pharmacist), and Cindy(Syracuse PICC certified RN) met with attendees through-out the day to answer questions about Upstate’s services or policies. They also heard many generous compliments of what Upstate HomeCare offers and does from their peers or communities. Nurses came from all of New York State to attend the event.
Speakers covered a wide range of topics; from topics on Blood Culture Collection and Modern Vascular Access, to Intraosseous Vascular Access and Sonoguided Short Catheter Insertion. The following speakers made presentations this year:
- Stephanie Pitts MSN, RN, CPN, VA-BC™ (sponsored by Angiodynamics) presented Reaching New Heights in Understanding Catheter Related Venous Thrombosis.
- Nadine Nakazawa BS, RN,OCN, VA-BC™ (sponsored by Carefusion) presented Improving Blood Culture Collection.
- Dr. Jack LaDonne MD VA-BC™(Sponsored by Ethicon/Biopatch) presented Modern Vascular Access.
- Lynn Hadaway M, Ed., RN, BC, CRNI (sponsored by 2M) presented SHEA Compendium 2014 Update on CLABSI.
- Dan Smith RN, BSN, CFRN, CEN (sponsored by Teleflex/Arrow) presented The Science of Intraosseous Vascular Access.
- Robert B. Dawson DNP, MSA, APRN, ACNP-BC, CPUI, VA-BC™ presented Vascular Access in 10cm or Less: Limits and Keys to Success with Sonoguided Short Catheter Insertion.
After a brief introduction by Jan Elliott BS, RN, VA-BC™, CRNI, President of AVACNY; the speakers took the podium each within their time slot and engaged the audience with a wealth of insight and followed each presentation with a polite Q&A. With the largest turnout to date for the CNY chapter of AVA, this Teaching Day resulted in enthusiastic attendees and sponsors who complimented how well the day went. Upstate HomeCare had a very strong presence among the sponsors and made many new contacts as well as helping with the documentation that was prepared for each attendee. Everyone assisting with the event are looking forward to the future events and the Craftsmen Inn provided excellent service and support the entire day in addition to the excellent Conference Area.
For more information, see below for AVACNY’s website and other resources.
AVA National: http://www.avainfo.org
Craftsmen Inn and Conference Center: http://www.craftsmaninn.com/